Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy, can I have a do-over?

Happy Father's day to all the fathers out there. While I can't speak about other people's families, my wife and kids needed reminding of this most noble of Hallmark holidays.

Me: Do you know what today is?

10 year old daughter: Well... It isn't my birthday. It isn't Hannukah. It isn't Purim. It isn't New Years. It isn't Thanksgiving... Can you give me a hint?

Me: It's Father's day!

10 year old daughter: [Truly Embarrassed] Can I get a do over on the question?
The Senate wishes they had a do over with Secretary "Tiny" Tim Geithner. Larry Summers wants a do over being Secretary of Treasury. Rick Wagner wants a do over of $85 Billion of losses at GM. I want a do over of college organic chemistry class which prevented me from becoming the doctor my Jewish mother always wanted me to be.

In improv as in life, there are no do-overs. The number one rule in improv is to always accept what your partner says and then add on. This idea is better known as "Yes And!" (see posting #1 for more detail).

So ... how can we apply this simple yet powerful skill? Here's a possible scenario.
President Obama: Geithner is our Treasury Secretary and he has the talent.

VP Biden: Yes and we'll enhance his toughness by water boarding him.

Senator Reid: Yes and we'll give him experimental cloned brain cells from Milton Friedman to improve his acceptability to the right.

Leader Pelosi: Yes and we'll give him leadership course from former President George W Bush to improve his ability to make bold decisions.

Director Summers: Yes and Wall Street will hire him away and I'll get his job!
The Financial Improv guy fixes all economic problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment