Saturday, May 29, 2010

Need a leg to stand on..

Like the financial markets, I'm broken. I tore the right quadriceps tendon fighting a cabal of ninjas to save a puppy from a burning building. 

Don't believe me? 

Actually I was part of the Top Hat Junk Shot experiment for British Petroleum.

Still don't believe me?

Really? Fine! I seem to have missed the public service announcement reminding dog walkers not play with their blackberry while ice is on the ground. Who knew? Inattention to obvious risks caused my injury. I've lost time at work and my budding improv career has been put on hiatus like Helen Hunt's acting. My dumb-ass moment of 2009!



My leg will completely heal after the surgery, two months walking around in a leg brace and six to eight months of physical therapy.  The healing process hurts. Breaking up scar tissue is painful. The healing process takes time. Time for tendon to fully reconnect and rebuild muscle strength and flexibility. The healing process takes money. Money slotted for other activities like new clothes, vacations and other non-essentials. The world economy also needs painful procedures, cost cutting and time.

My leg and the economy have many aspects in common. Both broke due to inattention and belief in the ability that nothing will going wrong despite being fat from excessive leverage and chocolate.

My leg and the economy differ on their short term prognosis. The world governments haven't preformed the critical but painful surgery needed to fix the problem. Sure we've thrown money at the situation but only to have Spain downgraded and riots in Greece. The public, thinking only of its next meal (Philistines!), won't take the necessary medicine. Sure the Republicans talk a good game but realistically they need to get elected like everyone else.

Now if there were an economy sized Motrin!

We return to our regularly scheduled posting next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment